19 December 2008

My Christmas Vacation

Yes it is Friday. Glorious, wondrous, beautiful Friday. Why, you may ask, am I so delighted with this day? Well not only is it the end of the work week – but it is the end of my work week for two solid weeks. Thank. You. Jesus.

Yes my friends I am embarking on a beautiful little thing called vacation. A time where I will plan to get tons of things done (like sorting out the clothes I don’t wear any more, washing them and giving them away or cleaning my room, or even organizing the books that are staging a take over in my living room.) I’ll have the best of intentions and end up frittering away most of my days to reading and probably ‘catching up’ on that sleep I’ve been losing the last 11 months of the year.

While most of that is true, what I’m really planning to do is get some reading out of the way. And in doing so, creating on this blog a book of the week. (Yes, it is possible to read a book a week and that is my New Year’s resolution of sorts. Only I’m not calling it that because I’ll end up not doing it.)

So my plan is to read a book then post a picture of it and write a review of sorts. I know all one of you who read this will simply be teetering on the edge of your seat to read my opinions, which is why I’m doing this. To make you, the reading public, informed and well armed to face the world.

Okay not really. But working in Christian retail, I do get some very interesting books that come across my desk. So I’ll be reading some of those and reviewing them. I’ll also be reading classics, fiction… pretty much anything that I find interesting – stretching my interests and hoping to spur you on do to the same. There will be more posts in between the book reviews so I'll make sure that I make it obvious when I'm reviewing. Like posting reviews on Fridays. And with the words BOOK REVIEW in the title for easy browsing. Also, I'll post a teaser of the book I'm reading so you know and maybe you can check it out for yourself as well.

So without further adeiu... the first book!

A description of the book from the website Christless Christianity
"Christians have always had their differences, but never in church history have there been so many statistics indicating that many Christians today are practicing what can only be described as "Christless Christianity."
Christless Christianity guides the reader to a greater un-derstanding of a big problem within the American religious setting, namely the creep-ing fog of countless sermons in churches across the country that focus on moralistic concerns and personal transformation rather than the theology of the cross. Michael Horton's analysis of the contemporary church points believers back to the power of a gospel that should never be assumed. "


With that mulling around in your brains, I'll let you know what Michael Horton has to say next week! (Also, as an FYI, any comments or questions are greatly encouraged and appreciated! I love to dialouge so come join in the fun!)

1 comment:

  1. I am literally on the edge of my seat....ok now I've scooted back. I will bookmark your blog and look forward to your weekly musings! I promise I won't post something EVERY week, but you know sometimes, I'll just have to. Goom!

    ReplyDelete